Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    I totally disagree about there being any truth to the stereotype.

    In fact I believe that overall the best people in this country are mountain people.

    My wife spent nearly her entire life in NOVA, she will tell anyone who is interested that the people here are far nicer and treat each other with far more respect.

    Howard Cummins once told me that the dumbest and worst behaved students he ever dealt with were in the D.C. area. Many were children of diplomats and politicians.

    My son who is african american and lives in Indiana, not far from Indianapolis, I believe would tell you that he encounters racism far more often there than here.

    As "hillbillies" we are the last "group" that it is okay to label, to stereotype, and to make fun of. It truly is a form of bigotry.

    There are plenty of stupid people, uneducated people, bigots, and idiots anywhere you go, but the media tends to ignore them in other areas of the country, whereas they will seek them out around here to further the stereotype. I don't know if this is on purpose or simply a by-product of their believing the stereotypes and striving to fill it.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    Freedom of speech my friends.

  3. #33
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    Somebody tell me this...how is "redneck" a racial term?? The term refers to our heritage and where we come from...not which race we are. Plus, if you're away from here and can't get laid with our accent....you ain't gettin laid period...lol
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #34
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    I've found that folks from our area are much more receptive to people of other races, ethnicity, etc. It seems to me that race relations is much more of a problem in densely populated areas.
    I happened to visit Hawai'i for 8 days last August. Saw as many "rednecks" there as any place I've ever been.[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  5. #35
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    Redneck is racist in that its sterotype is an anglo-saxon male/female. Ever seen anyone other than that called a "redneck"?
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  6. #36
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    Yep...the term comes from miners fighting the coal companies in the 20's...referred to the red bandanas they wore to designate themselves while shooting so they didn't kill one another. BTW the Hawaiians aren't really racist like we think racist....they just don't like most anyone that isn't Hawaiian...that includes whites, blacks and mexicans...I lived there 2 years myself.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  7. #37
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    But only one in 1,000,000 people know the origin of the term. Those who stereotype view rednecks as trailer-dwelling white trash that are uncouth, unbathed, and illiterate.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  8. #38
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    Never said that Hawaiian's were racist, just that I saw as many rednecks there as anywhere I've ever been.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  9. #39
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    So ? That doesn't bother me....but here's a link with all kinds of rednecks and reasons we may be called that (I know it's wikipedia, but still) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_%28stereotype%29
    But, hell, I'll be the first to say it...I AM A DAMN REDNECK...lol
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #40
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Andrea Mitchell calls us Red Necks!

    We're brothers! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •